Friday, May 18, 2007

umm...chile 4?

Herrera p.74

“Snipped chicken head x chopped cactus + fried pork eye = Diploma”

In this quote, Herrera is saying how useless a diploma is. He adds three crappy things up to make a diploma. He thinks that diplomas are worthless.


Herrera p. 90

“When I read the poem on my way to teach my prison workshop I knew this was a poem. No publisher. No price necessary. No pages numbered. No sales clerk. No one waiting to see the poem or ever hear the poem. But, it was loudest poem, the most magnetic.”

I really liked this quote because Herrera defines what makes a good poem. He throws out all of the things that people think makes a poem good, and starts all over. A good poem is not about fans, or making money, or being famous. I real poem is wrote to be written, not to be heard.

No comments: